Are you an out-of-state contractor looking to work in Louisiana? Do you want to avoid retaking your trade exam? We’ve got some good news for you! If your state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with Louisiana, you may not need to worry much about relicensing. As an out-of-state contractor you may receive credit in Louisiana for approved classifications held with your reciprocal licensing board without taking the Louisiana trade exam. A reciprocity agreement might even provide you with an exemption from the 60-day waiting period for out-of-state contractors applying for licensure in Louisiana.

Here’s what you need to know if you are filing a reciprocity request:

  1. As a company, you must be originally incorporated (i.e. chartered) in the reciprocal state. Alternatively, the owner(s) of the company must be resident(s) of the reciprocal state.
  2. You must have held a license in the reciprocal state for at least three years. This rule doesn’t apply to Texas, for which there is no minimum time period.
  3. You must not have been sanctioned by the licensing board of your reciprocal state for the past three years for violations of contractor licensing laws.
  4. You must meet all other requirements for licensure by the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors (the “Board”).
    • You must submit a completed, signed and notarized Commercial and/or Residential Application.
    • You must submit a completed, signed and notarized financial statement.
    • You must submit all of the required application and examination fees.
    • You must send a “Request for Verification of License” to the state in which you are currently licensed. You must then send the filled out form or responding letter to the Board unless your state sends the form directly to the Board.
  5. Once your application and all required documents and fees are received by the Board, your reciprocity request will be considered by the Board at the next available Board Meeting.
  6. If your request is approved by the Board, your Qualifying Party will not have to take the trade exam and/or you will be exempted from the 60-day waiting period for out-of-state contractors.

Of course the above list is not exhaustive and merely aims to present you with a general idea of the reciprocity process. You don’t want your request to be denied because of a mere technicality so be aware of the paperwork and fees you need to pay. To help make the process easier for you, we recommend that you speak to legal counsel who can help. Here at Smiley Law, we are always ready to take your reciprocity request questions

The advice is priceless.Schedule Your Consultation Now
Share This