Regardless of why someone owes you money, if they refuse to pay the best step you can take to elevate the debt’s collection is delivering a formal demand letter to the non-paying party. Here at the Smiley Law Firm we send demand letters all the time.
We do this as a part of the process to help our clients get paid for the hard work they performed.
There are a few reasons why a formal demand for payment is worth sending and a responsible step in collecting any money that you are owed, including:
- It shows the non-paying party that you’re serious about getting paid.
- It can be legally required prior to litigation
- It best preserves your remedies (i.e. starts clock for charging interest)
- It may qualify you for extra remedies (i.e. to collect penalties or attorney fees)
Although anyone can send their own demand letter, there are clear advantages to having a firm like Smiley Law Firm send your demand letter:
- Demand from an attorney will carry more weight than an internal letter
- The letter is crafted to take advantage of laws providing for collection of extras (attorney fees, interest, penalties, etc.)
- More reliable proof of delivery
- We keep a record of the letter and know how to send it to multiple parties to ensure it gets read by the owing party
You may think it’s too expensive or cumbersome to hire an attorney to send demand letters. Law firms may require you to place large retainers or spend more than you really need. Here at Smiley Law Firm we have payment plans to fit any budget.
However, sending a demand letter from Smiley Law Firm is affordable and easy. You provide us the information, and we’ll get the demand letter promptly sent off. If that doesn’t produce payment, you can consult with one of our attorneys on how to move forward to collect what you or you company are owed. We do it all for one flat fee.
Sending a Demand Letter Is An Effective Way To Get Paid For Your Hard Work
If someone owes you money and refuses to pay, a demand letter can help you to quickly recover the money you are owed. Demand letters, in Louisiana, as well as other states, are a powerful way to show that you are serious about collecting the money that is due, and is often the only remedy needed to collect a debt.
A demand letter is a formal document requesting the payment of money owed. Demand letters may have different content, where some may be long and others may be short. However, most include the same basic information.
- Your letter should include a summary of what is owed. Not just the amount but the back up of why its owed and any proof you have;
- The most important is being as exact as possible regarding amounts owed;
- Most people forget this, but a due date is very important. Also don’t just put “2 weeks” because that can be ambiguous. Put the exact date you expect to be paid or else you will explore more legal options. Example: July 4, 1776.
- Also be sure to include an address where payment should be sent. Don’t leave anything to chance. State: please remit payment to: _____ address.
- Lastly, it is always a good idea to have a contact number and email in case your debtor has questions about your letter or just wants to pay.
Why Send a Letter?
In Louisiana and other states, it can be costly and time-consuming to chase down the party that owed your company money. They may avoid your calls, give you incorrect information and refuse to pay.
A demand letter is often necessary if you want to take additional steps to get paid such as a lawsuit or other formal collection remedy. A settlement demand notice in Louisiana and other states is also helpful in letting the debtor know that he has the option of paying without a formal lawsuit.
Most debtors want to avoid costly court battles. Often, when a creditor sends a demand letter payment follows quickly.
The formal letter is also good for tracking and keeping a paper trail of the debt. Many times people will call, text or email about getting paid or demanding payment. The formal letter looks much better in court and is easy to show your intent to be paid.
Why a Legal Demand Letter?
Although a notice demanding payment is a powerful collection tool, a formal document from an attorney carries a lot of weight. You don’t have to pay high retainers and fees for an effective legal demand letter, however. Smiley Law Firm can create an impressive legal demand letter that you can send immediately for best results. We draft demand letters daily.
In addition, an official document holds weight in any court proceeding that you may have to implement. By choosing a reputable firm in New Orleans to handle this collection task, you can be assured that your notice is delivered to your recipient. This notice is often required when filing a lawsuit.
In addition, your official demand notice will include legal information such as the collection of attorney fees and court costs.
If you are looking for a settlement demand, don’t waste time and money chasing your debtor, and contact Smiley Law Firm. With a demand letter payment is often received quickly at minimal cost and effort. Our team can help you end your payment nightmare and get the money you are owed today.
Get Your Demand Letter
- Complete and submit the form.
- A Smiley Law Firm representative will contact you with instructions on how you can pay by credit card.
- There may be more than one payment option that you can discuss with a Smiley Law Firm representative.
- Upon payment, the Smiley Law Firm team will prepare your letter and it will be authorized by an attorney before it gets out the door.
- Finally, your document will be sent to the party from Smiley Law Firm.