After you experience a flood, first contact your insurance company or agent to file a claim. Have the following information available:

  • Your policy number
  • The name of your insurance provider
  • An email address and/or telephone number where you can be reached

You should hear from an adjuster within a few days of filing your claim. Contact your insurance company or agent again if an adjuster does not promptly contact you.

Next, document the damage by separating undamaged from damaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your possessions and home to accurately prepare your repair estimate.

  • Take photographs of the damaged property, including standing floodwater levels, structural damage and discarded objects.
  • Place flooded items outside the home for disposal if required by your local county officials.
  • Make a list of lost or damaged items and include their receipts, value and date of purchase.

If you don’t have receipts, look for serial numbers on the items so that you can look them up and obtain an accurate price estimate.

Finally, complete a Proof of Loss to support your insurance claim. Your adjuster will help you prepare a Proof of Loss – your sworn statement of the amount you are claiming, including necessary documentation – for the damages. This document must contain the specific details found in the Standard Flood Insurance Policy.

Since this document acts as evidence of your insurance claim, you must submit it before your insurance company or the National Flood Insurance Program can make payment.

You’ll receive payment after you and the insurance company agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your accurate, complete and signed Proof of Loss document. Keep in mind that, in the case of major catastrophic flooding, it might take longer to process claims due to the sheer number of claims.

The advice is priceless.Schedule Your Consultation Now
Share This